Thread: New to RVing here are some helpful tips.

New to RVing here are some helpful tips.

1. Go to an empty parking lot on Sunday and practice backing between chairs or something.

2.Never rush doing anything in your RV, when backing into places when in doubt always get out and look.

3.Make a check in list and check out list I will post one here then.

4.Get some 1/2 PBC pipe and cut to the length of your slidouts then when you back into a site use the PVC pipe to make sure you have room to open your slideouts.

5. Always look inside making sure nothing is in the way of opening your slidouts. Always look outside and make sure nothing is in the way of opening your slidouts.

6.Never let your tank valves open they need to accumulate water and should the RV Parks sewer system back up it can not backup into your tanks and eventually over flow your toilet. Also keeps whatever in the sewer system from crawling into your tanks.

7. You can't empty your black tank to much I empty mine every other day needed or not. If you gat a clogged tank like I did when we 1st started RVing it takes forever to get it opened back up.

8.Always use some type of chemicals in your black tank I just use fabric softener a cap full or half a say half a cup full.

9.Get yourself an outside power surge protector, always check your power extention cord.

10.Most important travel and have fun.

couple of other hints and tricks:

1. Add a valve to the end of your drain pipe, It will prevent you from getting a handful of dirty water when you uncap.

2. If black tank is clogged close the valve on the end and briefly open and close the drain to release some water from one of the other tanks. It will flow into the black tank hopefully unblocking the opening. Just another reason to have water in the bath and galley tanks besides to flush the drain pipe and sewer hose.

3. If you have a hard time getting up from kneeling to open or close valves, get a short suction cup "hand rail". it'll stick to the side of the RV or to the side of the slide. It'' make getting up and down easier and can be removed when not in use.
    2006 Ford F 350 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel
    50 Gal Sure Flo aux fuel tank
    RVing may not be cost effective but memories are priceless

One important tip I forgot to mention.

WHENEVER backing up use a ground guide. Practice in a deserted parking lot as Bruce said, using you co-pilot as a ground guide. Agree on signals and what they mean. Today, when everyone has a cell phone, it becomes a very useful tool when backing up.

Another tip for us older RVers and those getting there. When you are young getting down on one knee or both knees and getting back up is easy but as you get older getting back up gets hard to do. Buy a short safety rail with suction cups to hold it to the wall. Attach it to side of RV, or slide, where you need to get on your knees (i.e. to pull tank valves)When finished remove it and store it. For many of us it may be a "must have" tool to carry in the RV.